Sunday, November 3, 2013

Widgets

An Art Workshop to Remember Our Love Ones and The Ones We Admire


This is the mini Altar I made! Photo by Mia Roman.
© 2013. Angely Martinez. All Rights Reserved.

This year's life and career explorations have allowed me to do things that I never thought I would do. However, I miss doing visually artistic work.  So the minute I heard about the Adult Mini Altar Workshop with Mia Roman, which took place on November 2nd, 2013, I could not wait to go and see what I would end up creating.

The Workshop was part of  the "Día de Los Muertos: El Barrio" presented by Viajero Borish at the Julia De Burgos Cultural Center.  This art installation's mission is to bring the community together to honor the love ones that are no longer in this world by adding objects to the altar.  This is the third workshop I attended with Mia Roman,  who is a fantastic artist, Frida Kahlo fan, and very proud of her Latin American roots.

When I first got to the workshop, which ironically was at the same building I went to high school years ago, I did not know exactly how I would decorate my box. I started with glittering a white plastic flower, then drawing wavy lines, and then adding more things.  It was a colorful journey of transforming a plain white box into a fun, complicated, and overly crazy piece that I never thought I would do.

At some point, it was as if all my creative thoughts exploded in the class.  At some point, I could not stop adding more and more objects, and transforming those small objects into something else.  I added more and more until I could not add anymore. Everything combined, turned the small white box into a beautiful altar. 

Everyone created beautiful boxes, some of them of their grandmothers and others of family members.  It was a collective environment in which everyone brought their own identity into what they did.  I had never done an art class about El Día de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead). Once again, I stepped out of my comfort zone.

To find out more information about Art by Mia Roman, you can check her website, and to purchase her work, you can check her Etsy Shop.

To find out more information on "Día De Los Muertos: El Barrio," check out Dia De Los Muertos Collective. This art installation/ exhibition will be opened until November 15th at the Julia De Burgos Cultural Center, 1680 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY.

Check out more photos below of the workshop! You can also check my Pinterest Board as well. 

Let me know what you think in the comments below. Until Next Time. A+F by AM.


All photos by Mia Roman



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...